Friday, May 1, 2009

Weekly Fix #2 (More House!!)



Weekly Fix #2: More House!!

Before I talk about this weeks Weekly Fix, I just wanted to address two things about this series. First of all these mixes are all recorded off of Serato and are done spontaneously. I pick a genre or theme before but then I just dive into the mix and pick out songs on the fly. So please excuse them if the mixings a bit shoddy. Also from now on I'm going to post the mix without a tracklist at first, so that you guys can listen to the whole thing without knowing what songs are. I'll post tracklists a few days after though so you guys can download stuff you liked. Now on to this weeks mix!

So I think its no secret that Electro-House is my main squeeze, the genre that motivates me more than any other to go out and wild out. I know that the vast majority of you who read this blog have the same relationship with Electro-House. I thought I'd shed some light on some non-Electro House this week. Absent are some of Electro's signature "hard" sounds, but I think you'll see that this stuff shares a lot of common DNA (its all House after-all).

I wish I had a cool sub-genre classification to throw on here, but as far as I know this stuff doesn't have any catch hyphenation. This is the kind of stuff you might hear from the Swedish House Mafia or Laidback Luke during a set. However Diplo, A-Trak and Crookers have been throwing down tracks with this edge to them recently.

House musics a pretty special thing, and its really been too segmented in recent years. If guys like David Guetta, Diplo, Laidback Luke and Crookers are playing each others music and breaking down the genre walls, we should make an attempt to follow suit. Its fine to be an Electro-House fan, thats what I am too, but lets not disregard other House music so easily just because its of a different sub-genre!

COMING SOON: Baltimore Club Weekly Fix!

No comments:

Post a Comment